Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday, June 22, 2012

It's 2:45, and it's Friday. I've worked these hours before, always when I was in college. When I graduated about 7 months ago, I wasn't expecting to come back to this... I imagined a dream job waiting for me. But I guess it's no different than anyone else with this economy. I hear I'm not the only one at least.

Anyways, it's strange getting used to again. It's strange forcing myself to remember to work at a blog more. But I've always heard it's good for the mind to keep a journal to record your thoughts... Helps sort through things I guess. Alright so what are my goals right now..?

Just started this journal, a blog on becoming a food critic, and I'm working on my book. I'll be totally honest, I'm really eager to work on a new topic--but I know that's how I mess myself up, so I'm going to focus on these three tasks. I don't want to end up overwhelming myself with a ton of things that need to be done and giving up altogether because of it. No, that definitely won't do. I worked on both blogs in the AM today before work, so I think I owe myself a little time to work on edits for Quintessence tonight... After all--it's been 8 years... I seriously owe myself a published novel.

10:25 PM - Back home from work and just ate dinner... And it's almost frustrating really. I'm working on visualizing my goals better, and I can definitely imagine my book getting published, but I'm really worried about when it will actually get finished... I mean, it's done--but it still needs those little edits--the ones that make everything solid and perfect and guaranteeing. I'm also scared because now that the book is much closer to being finished, I've realized that the genre it should be classified as is not what I originally anticipated it to be. ORIGINALLY, I wanted it to be an adult fantasy (medieval/sci-fi - not dirty!) novel... But I suppose there's nothing wrong with young-adult. I guess I kinda just feel like my work turned out more juvenile than I'd have liked it to be--but it is seriously difficult trying to write several characters in a medieval speak! ...So their verbatim in the book is in my opinion--more modern than I'd have liked, which makes it less authentic and a more 'easy-reader' type of read as well.

I'm trying to stay focused. I'm trying to find other job or career opportunities in my life, but when months pass by and no options come forth, a person tends to change their focus and find a new direction. That leaves me with my novel and my blogs.

So I'm working on learning and blogging about what it takes to become a food critic. I've worked in many different types of restaurants giving me broad knowledge on several different types of food and restaurants. I know seafood, steaks, Italian food, a little Greek food, American (obviously), Chinese (because I just love it so much, never worked for a place though), breakfast foods, etc. I've experienced the differences as a server working in a heavy corporation versus a family owned business. Not to mention whether or not the business was flopping versus kicking all the other restaurant's tails.

Basically, I think I've got a good start. I've got a Bachelors degree in English, specializing in Rhetoric and Professional Writing--so I'm lucky because of the confidence I have in owning up to the necessary tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment